Sassafras comes from the bark or the root bark of the sassafras tree that is native to the eastern United States and some parts of Asia. The tree is deciduous and has a unique and easy to identify yellow or orange bark. The many medicinal benefits of sassafras include:
- Skin health - the presence of tannic acid as well as a unique compound called Sassafrid are believed to be the source of outstanding benefits for overall skin health.
- Anti-inflammatory - one of the oldest applications of sassafras is for fever reduction but of course is also used for gastrointestinal inflammation, arthritis, headaches, as well as more serious conditions such as gout or rheumatism.
- Strengthens immunity - this plant was traditionally recommended to fend off a colds at their onset. Research has shown that sassafras has not only analgesic (pain killing) properties but also antiseptic properties as well, boosting the immune system and protecting the body against foreign agents and pathogens.
- Boosts dental health - because of its pleasant flavor and antiseptic properties, sassafras twigs were actually used as the earliest forms of toothbrushes as people would use the bark to scrub their teeth.
- Prevent cancer - while research continues on this specific benefit of sassafras, the bark does demonstrate measurable antioxidant potential in the body as well as the ability to lower your risk of cell mutation.
- Relieves pain - the leaves of sassafras were used for centuries for their anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties.
- Heal wounds - sassafras leaves at the site of a wound also stimulates the movement of freshly oxygenated blood to the site speeding up the healing process.
- Increases energy - sassafras is naturally a stimulating plant and can be used to invigorate oneself and overcome fatigue.
- Soothes menstrual pain - analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties have aided in the remedy of painful or intense menstrual pain for thousands of years.
- Detoxify the body - the leaves of the sassafras tree are a well-known diuretic. They help increase urination which eliminates excess toxins, salts, and fats from the body. This helps greatly in maintaining excellent kidney health.
Interestingly enough, the oil of sassafras is extremely powerful and when taken in doses of even a teaspoon, can cause violent reactions of vomiting and nausea whereas much higher doses can even be fatal.